Do you have a child who loves to garden or to play in the dirt? Then he or she will love to make a Resurrection Garden–a perfect Easter craft for children that tells the true Easter story of Jesus’ Resurrection!
Plus, I’ll share other awesome Christian Easter Bible studies, Easter games and Easter crafts for kids that make it easy to teach kids about the Resurrection.
What is a Resurrection Garden and How Can It Teach My Kids About Easter?
A mini Resurrection Garden is a recreation of Jesus’ tomb in the rock during His burial. Using a variety of basic garden supplies (including planting soil, rocks, and grass seed), children create a mini scene of Christ’s tomb and his eventual resurrection from the grave.
The cool part about Resurrection Gardens is that, as kids water their mini Resurrection Garden each day, children see the garden come to life: the grass seed quickly sprouts and covers their “tomb” with abundant spring life.
You can see why Resurrection Gardens are a perfect analogy for the story of Easter itself–new life springs from Jesus’ sacrifice!
Resurrection Garden Instructions & Supplies
A Resurrection Garden can be as simple or elaborate as you wish, but here are the basic supplies needed to make one garden.
Resurrection Garden Supplies:
- potting soil
- plastic garden saucer or shallow clay pot saucer
- small clay pot or plastic cup
- grass seeds
- various sticks and stones from your yard, including one large flat stone to cover the tomb
- quick drying glue (Beacon Zip Dry is my fave) or glue gun and glue stick
Resurrection Garden Instructions:
1) Help your kids choose several rocks for their Resurrection Garden. They will need several flat ones, including one large flat one that will cover the “tomb” entrance.
The girls had so much fun with this! Look at them c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y laying out those rocks. LOL!
2) Place potting soil in a plastic gardening tray or shallow clay pot.
3) Lay smaller clay pot (or plastic cup) on its side on top of the soil with its “mouth” facing out (this is the “tomb”). Bury it slightly with more soil.
4) Arrange stones (to make a pathway to the tomb) and sticks (on top to make a cross). Place the large flat stone across the mouth of the small clay pot (the tomb).
5) Sprinkle grass seeds all over the potting soil (especially in the area where the tomb is).
6) Water the soil each day and watch your plants grow. On Easter Sunday morning, be sure to “roll the stone away” from the tomb’s entrance!
Sample Resurrection Gardens for Inspiration
Looking for more ideas of how to put together your Resurrection Garden as a fun Easter activity for kids?
Check out these lovely DIY Resurrection Gardens (each with a different take on this easy Easter craft for kids):
DIY Mini Resurrection Garden from We Are That Family
Resurrection Garden from Farm Wife Crafts
Easter Garden Tutorial from The Frugal Homemaker
Easter Tradition: Create a Resurrection Garden from Kids Activities Blog
Other Christian Easter Activities for Families
- How to Plan a Christian Easter Egg Hunt
- How to Make a Resurrection Tree (Easter Activity for Kids)
- 6 Best Christian Easter Movies to Watch
- 10 Easter Activities that Teach Kids the True Easter Story
- Best Easter Bible Study Lessons Printables for Families
- Christian Easter Coloring Pages (for Kids & Adults)
- Ultimate List of Easter Bible Verses
Other Fun Easter Crafts to Teach Kids About the Resurrection
Looking for other fun Easter activities, Easter games, Easter Bible studies and Easter crafts for kids?
If you want easy, practical ways to teach your kids about the true Easter story, you’ve got to check out the Christ Centered Easter Family Resources!
This amazing set of printable Easter Bible studies and Easter activities for families gives busy parents everything they need to teach kids about the Resurrection, including printable Easter resources for:
- Christian Easter Egg hunts
- Resurrection Tree Activity
- Christian Easter Coloring Pages
- Easter Bible Study Lessons Printables
- Easter Bible Verse Cards
- and so much more!
Purchase Easter activities printables by themselves, or with one of two Easter Bible study printables. Get just the Christian Easter resources your family needs with the Christ Centered Easter Family Resources!