How to Make a DIY Countdown Valentine Banner
- Two pieces of Valentine-themed contrasting fabric (a fat quarter-size of each should be enough)
- 2 (8.5 x 11″) pieces of both red and white felt
- 3 yards of ½” thick red ribbon
- 12″ x 1/2 yard piece of burlap
- Black craft paint
- Black sharpie marker
- Thin piece of cardboard or file folder
- Sewing machine and thread (or a quick-drying fabric glue)
1) Draw triangle and heart shapes on cardboard or a file folder. To make 28 felt triangles fit on a 9 foot piece of ribbon, I figured out the dimensions (see the picture below). I also figured out the dimensions of the inner burlap triangle and the heart “pocket.” This took me some serious time and made my little non-math brain almost explode.
2) Trace 14 large triangles on white felt, and 14 large triangles on red felt. Stack them in piles.
3) Repeat the process with the burlap triangles and the fabric hearts.
Note: I ended up marking the edges of the white hearts with a black sharpie so that they look more pronounced against the burlap and the red felt. You’ll see what I mean in the picture below.
4) Stack the triangles and hearts together and pin them, making two triangle/heart patterns (one set with white felt and one of the fabrics; another set with red felt and the other fabric).
5) Sew or glue the banner pieces together. First sew the burlap triangles to the felt triangles; then sew the hearts on top. Note: Only attach the heart around the side edges in order to leave an opening on top, thus creating a pocket.
6) Place the banner pieces in stacks, alternating between the two patterns.
7) Sew or glue the banner pieces to the ribbon, alternating between the red and white. I placed the ribbon slightly on top of the banner pieces so that it would be more visible.
8) Paint the numbers 1 to 28 on the hearts.
9) Fill each heart pocket. You can put favorite Bible verses on love, or other love quotes in here to read each day. Or, just put a small candy or treat in there.
And that’s it! Your Valentine Countdown Banner is now ready to help you and your family celebrate all things love-ly each day of February!