During autumn, one of our treasured family traditions is to pick a pumpkin from our local pumpkin patch and spend an evening carving pumpkins while we tell our kids the pumpkin prayer and pumpkin gospel.
Whether or not you celebrate Halloween, I’m guessing that one of your fall family activities includes time to carve pumpkins too? If so, you’ll love sharing the Christian pumpkin story with them!
I can’t wait to tell you more about the pumpkin gospel and give you a free pumpkin gospel resource (download it here!) so you can easily share about salvation in a fun and exciting way that kids love.
What Is the Pumpkin Prayer?
The pumpkin prayer (or the pumpkin gospel) has been around in various forms for a while. In a nutshell, it is a Bible lesson that tells the story of salvation as kids are carving a fall pumpkin.
Whether or not your family celebrates Halloween, teaching kids the pumpkin prayer while carving pumpkins is a wonderful fall activity that can also give them a new insight about a relationship with God.
Kids are introduced to the concept that, just like a Halloween pumpkin being carved into a Jack O’Lantern, they are chosen by God, are cleaned by him, are given a new identity in Christ and then are made to be a light to shine for God.
The free Pumpkin Prayer Printables I’ve created tell the pumpkin gospel in four steps and then give a pre-written prayer at the end.
DOWNLOAD THE FREE PUMPKIN PRAYER RESOURCES HERE.
Tell Me More About These Free Pumpkin Prayer Printables
I wanted a way to showcase the powerful truths of the pumpkin gospel into a well-designed pumpkin prayer printable that our family could use both while we carve Jack O Lanterns and as a memorable evangelistic tool for sharing about Christ during Halloween.
You may see other pumpkin prayer resources out there on fall Pinterest boards, but honestly, I haven’t seen any pumpkin gospel poems or pumpkin prayer resources like these!
This free pumpkin gospel resource includes:
- an easy, 4-step explanation of the pumpkin gospel
- a gorgeous full-color page with 28 Bible verses to support each part of the pumpkin gospel
- full color copies of the 3.5 x 4.75 cards with the pumpkin gospel and pumpkin prayer so that kids can make their own Christian pumpkin story booklet, create a fun banner, or hand these booklets out as tracts to Halloween night trick or treaters
- black and white copies of the 3.5 x 4.75 cards with the pumpkin gospel and pumpkin prayer so that kids can make their own Christian pumpkin story mini coloring book
And, yes it’s completely free! Download it here.
How to Tell the Pumpkin Gospel While Carving Pumpkins
Pumpkin Prayer Step 1: God Knows Me & Chooses Me
Begin by talking about how each person chose their pumpkin and how every pumpkin is unique (just like us). Then share about how God chooses each one of us and share the bible verses from step 1.
Pumpkin Prayer Step 2: God Cleans Me Inside & Out
Share how the pumpkins have been in the field and are dirty and so they need to be cleaned on the outside. Explain that we need to open the pumpkins up and remove all the icky parts inside so that we can create our beautiful jack-o-lantern designs.
Share that God wants to do the same thing to us. Tell the kids that He wants us to recognize that we have some parts of us that need to be cleaned too. Explain that we just need to confess those “icky parts” to Him and ask Him to make us clean.
Then share that the good news is that, because of Jesus’ sacrifice, we can be fully clean before God! Then share the Bible verses from step 2.
Pumpkin Prayer Step 3: God Changes Me & Makes Me New
Explain that, now that our pumpkins are clean, the transformation can start! Share that now we can transform our pumpkins from being just vegetables into truly unique creations as we carve faces and other beautiful designs on our pumpkins.
Explain that this is what God wants to do with us too. Tell the kids that if we are willing, He wants transform us and make us into a beautiful new creation that will bring true happiness and purpose into our lives. Then share the verses from Step 3.
Pumpkin Prayer Step 4: God Puts His Light in My Heart
Share with the kids that now that our pumpkins have been chosen, cleaned, given a brand new design, we can make them glow in a beautiful new way!
Share how we can put a candle inside each pumpkin and it will create a fun outdoor decoration at night. Explain that this is what God does to every believer too! God cleans us out, gives us a brand new purpose and joy, and then wants us to share that “light” with everyone around us so that we can be bright lights for Him in dark places.
When the Pumpkins are Completed, Close with the Pumpkin Prayer
Close in prayer, using the sample pumpkin prayer as an example:
“Thank you for choosing me, God. I know that sometimes I make mistakes, so thank you for cleaning me inside and out. Please make me new so that can be a shining light for you!”
Afterwards, connect with each child individually to make sure he understood the pumpkin bible lesson and ask if he have any questions. You can also ask if he would like God to transform him like he just transformed his pumpkin. If so, lead him in a prayer of salvation like this one.
How Can I Adapt The Pumpkin Gospel to Kids of Various Ages?
1) If you have only younger kids, tell the story as you carve pumpkins but only share a few verses.
2) If you have older kids, tell the story as you carve pumpkins, encouraging discussion and asking deeper questions such as “How have you seen these truths in your life?”
3) if you have kids of a wide variety of ages, consider hosting two locations for the carving and have adults or older siblings explaining the pumpkin christian story at each spot as appropriate for each age.
5 Other Ways To Use These Free Pumpkin Prayer Resources
- Make a Pumpkin Prayer Banner. Print and cut out the color copies of the mini-booklet. Laminate each piece and hang the pieces on a ribbon or piece of jute using clothespins.
- Make a Pumpkin Prayer Mini Coloring Book. Print out the black and white sheet of the pages and have kids cut them out. Staple them together into a mini coloring book and encourage the kids to color in each picture.
- Create a 5-day mini fall bible study for older kids. Print out a copy of the page with all the verses on it. Then, read the verses from one of the 4 parts of the pumpkin prayer gospel each day. Encourage discussion and questions about these verses, asking kids to share their thoughts. Have the kids pick their favorite verse and go through the 5Rs Bible Study MethodTM for that verse (go here to see the 5Rs Bible Study Method and get a free bookmark). Smaller children can listen in and color the black and white pages for each day of the study.
- Create Pumpkin Gospel Tracts. Print out either the color or black and white pages and hand these out to trick or treaters.
- Share the Pumpkin Prayer with other families. Host a pumpkin carving party with a few other families. Go through the pumpkin prayer together as you carve your pumpkins. Create mini coloring books from the pages and encourage kids to color them in as they enjoy a fun pumpkin dessert like this one.
Download Your Free Pumpkin Prayer Resource
Don’t you love how this fun family activity easily brings Christ into your fall traditions? I know your kids will enjoy this Christian pumpkin story as much as mine do!
If you haven’t downloaded the resource (remember, it’s free!), just go here.
These beautiful pumpkin gospel story printables make it easy and simple for you to teach your kids the pumpkin prayer. Don’t miss this wonderful chance to share about Christ with your kids while you carve pumpkins!
Other Fall Family Activities You’ll Love
Don’t forget to pin and share this post on social media so that others can teach the pumpkin prayer to their kids and these free pumpkin prayer resources too!